Saturday, March 31, 2012

Homemade Goldfish


So I very interested in making snacks and food in general from scratch for the kiddos and hubby. And my little bit loves goldfish, so I should find a recipe and make my own. After finding two recipes that were simpler but different I decided to give it a try. Through trial and error, I merged the two recipes together to get what I feel is a wonderful end result.



Recipe:
6 ounces (1-1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheddar
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon table salt
3 - 4 Tablespoons water

Combine all the ingredients, except the water, in a food processor. Continue running the machine adding 1 Tablespoon of water at a time until the dough forms a ball.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This will make it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. This is key to make them into more of a cracker instead of a cookie. 



Form shapes with a cookie cutter, I made one into a fish shape from a strip from an aluminum can. Dipping it in flour here and there to ensure a clean cut. 



Carefully transfer to an ungreased parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.



Makes around 100 crackers, depending on the size of your cookie cutters.

While the dough is chillin in the fridge I wanted to make my “cracker” cutter. So I got a coke can and using my shears roughly cut a strip about two inches wide and the full radius of the can. Then using a ruler I got a clean “straight” strip of tin, and covered one edge of the strip with brown tape. Wrapping both sides of the edge. Using a general fish shape I bent the tin for form the shape. Once I was happy with the shape then taped the ends, with a slight overlap, together. And there you have it. But you don’t have to make your own, I also used small cookie cutters to create shapes. And you can even use a ruler and pizza cutter to make “cheez its”



The first batch weren’t very crunchy like a cracker, but making the dough thin as suggested and cooking them a for 18 minutes gave them that cracker crunch I was looking for.

I hope that you enjoy this recipe for you little ones or big ones. They are great snack to have on hand around the house or in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment