Monday, January 28, 2013

My Handmade Holiday

In the past few years I have started to make the majority of the holiday gifts. For my family of parents and grandparents, they get to enjoy a family year calendar, canned yumminess, and a little something from the girls'.

For my nieces and nephews I try to do a little something for them. This year, they each got a personally designed coffee mug and a sweater hat emblelished with something they love.

Now for my girls' and husband the homemade gifts are more. JP and I try to limit the amount we spend on each other, this leaves a great opportunity to create gifts.

Here are the majority of their gifts:


For my little one, she got a embroidered shirt of the recycle symbol. She'll be my little activist :) This was made from felt that I glue to the shirt in the middle of the shape then used floss around the edges.
 


I also knitted a hat and matching crowl. Although she really likes using a scraf so I'll keep that in mind for next year.

Not pictured: I made a Sonya ABC book. I took photos of objects that reflect items around our house and lifestyle. So "C" is for chicken and "G" is for Garden. She likes it.


For my oldest, she is a stranger lover of Kale. Kale anything, to get her to eat a meal, I'll I have to do is put Kale in it. So I made her two shirts; one made as a KALE University style shirt. And the I heart Kale shirt. Both are made like the recycle shirt above. All you need is the patience to cut it all out and sew them all on.


A personalized coffee mug. I've seen this gift idea all over pinterest, so I tried it. I illustrated a image of her, added some kale, horse, horse riding quote and her name.

Now this mug did come form the Dollar Store. And used sharpie markers, and baked the 30 minutes in and preheated oven at 350°. We have had a problem with the marker coming off, with hand washing??? I also did this with some mugs from Garden Ridge and they came off really easily. So if you done this craft and have some suggestions I would love to hear from you.

Not pictured: She also got a sweater hat with hot pink mustuche on it, their trendy if you haven't noticed...hahaha.


For JP, these are hand warmers. My hubby is a lover of frisbee golf and winter time is no exception. They do lessen the trips out to the course. So these are made from a wool sweater with a lining of felt. They are filled with flax seeds. All you have to do is pop them into the microwave and heat for 45 seconds to 1 minute. And they stay warm for about a hour.

Not pictured: He got a blue sweater hat with the Star Wars rebel symbol on it. Yes, I married a Star Wars Nerd. I also made him a set of mugs with the profile of Han Solo and Princess Leia, her saying "i love you" and him saying "i know". They were very cute and then the accident and they fell from the counter and broke....so I have a do-over to do.

My plans this year is to start sooner and get all my handmade gifts completed before the end of October. Well see how that works out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment