Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Extending my growing season.... Hoop Houses


Mid September, I was busy pulling the last of tomato and pepper plants. Clearing the area for the fall garden to be planted. This year I’m planting green beans, broccoli, carrots, greens, spinach, and lettuce.


Greens 
Garlic for next year

Broccoli


collard greens

lettuce

Rabbits have been an issue, so I’ve covered the plants with chicken wire.

As the first projected frost was anticipated, I need to get the hoop house constructed. We bought some tubing from the hardware store and 6mil plastic. Since my raised beds are not very wide, I was also able to use hula hoops. Hoops and tubing was cut in half, then my hubby screwed them into the inner corner of the raised beds. Then we cut the plastic long enough to cover the beds with excess to close off the ends. Then we simply placed bricks, rocks and broken stepping stones we have around on our property.







On one strip of three beds we cut one long piece of plastic. JP then partially screwed in screws and the top of the tube and into the top of the two corners. Now we can use these to slip the plastic on and off as needed.

Now I can easily uncover the raised beds for watering and warm days. Then fairly quickly get them covered and kept from frost during the night.

I leave you with my evening harvest of lettuce for a dinner salad tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment